REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY.
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post Membership Committee:
1. Complete American Legion Membership application (available from the Post)
Fill out two (2) completed copies. Keep one copy for your records. Mail or bring the other copy to the Post Adjutant, together with your dues payment.
2. Copy of DD214, DISCHARGE or AD ORDERS (see below)
3. Membership Dues Payment (contact post for current amount). Make checks payable to our Post listed above. DO NOT SEND CASH.
4. If the information is correct, membership will be approved and then a membership card will be mailed to you.
5. Please see eligibility dates below.
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit the following:
a. Completed Member Data Form.
b. COPY OF DD214, DISCHARGE or AD ORDERS (see below)
c. COPY OF MEMBERSHIP CARD
6. Membership dues payment, if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year's membership.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service
6, 1917 -November 11, 1918) World War I
(December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946) World War II
(June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955) Korean War
(February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975) Vietnam War
(August 24, 1982 - July 31,1984) Lebanon/Grenada
(December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990) Operation Just Cause
(August 2, 1990 - Today)* Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm
A person must have served at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates above and honorably discharged or still serving honorably.
Guard and Reserve; most of the people that are serving or served during the dates above will have military service that qualifies (details).
Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
A copy of DD Form 214 or equivalent may be requested using SF-180 submitted to the government archives.
For any questions please contact our membership chairman or any member of the Post.
Get your application to the post or email us for more details.